Installation of a VPN on Fire TV Stick, Fire TV, and Other Amazon Fire TV Devices
Using this simple tutorial, you can have your VPN for Fire Stick, Fire TV Cube or any other Fire TV devices up and running in no time at all. This method will also work on the new Fire Stick 4K that was just recently made available.
The VPN I will be using for this article is the one that I always recommend. IPVanish VPN. IPVanish VPN is hands-down the best overall VPN service that I have used in my 30+ years of working with computers and networks. So, my recommendation is based on real-world testing and trial and error with a lot of inferior products that are out there. And its biggest strength is that it is the world’s fastest VPN. There aren’t many things as important when you are talking about streaming HD video.
What is a VPN? Why do I need it? That’s a great question. Click the link to read some in-depth reasons. But It’s easier to just be straightforward and say that using a VPN when connected to the Internet for any reason is mandatory. When the Internet was young, no one was watching. But as the Internet grew, more and more people are watching you. Some are watching you so they can sell you stuff. Others are watching to steal your stuff. Some of them overlap. Using a high-quality VPN service like IPVanish will hide your IP and encrypt your data so that no one can see who you are or what you are doing. That is super important in the world of streaming media.
Not only is a VPN important to protect your privacy and ensure anonymity, but it can also guarantee that your ISP won’t “throttle” your connection. Without a VPN, your ISP can see what you are doing and limit or otherwise “shape” your bandwidth if you are using streaming apps like Morpheus, Stremio, Kodi, IPTV, etc. They deem this traffic to be low priority and give it less bandwidth in most cases. If you see a lot of buffering in your media streams on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, that is most likely the reason.
As if those two reasons were not enough to illustrate the importance of using a VPN, there is another huge benefit. Due to the nature of the VPN itself, you can choose the location of the endpoint. This means that, even though you are in Miami, you can send all your Internet traffic out through Japan for instance. This makes you look like you are physically located in Japan. This is a great way to get content that is geographically restricted to certain countries. Just connect to a VPN endpoint in that country and that’s it. Just a couple clicks. IPVanish has over 1000 endpoints to choose from in over 60 different countries.
As far as people watching you, the biggest offender is your ISP. I know they need to look to some degree in order to manage their systems properly, but it becomes a problem when there is a conflict of interest. Most of the larger ISPs are also cable television providers who are increasingly restricting the use of streaming apps such as Mobdro and CKayTV to watch live programming. Not only that, but your ISP may actually threaten to suspend your account if they feel you are accessing copyrighted content from your Fire TV Stick, Fire Cube or other Fire TV device or Internet-connected device.
Regardless, a high-quality VPN such as IPVanish will solve all these problems and keep everyone out of your business and keep you in business.
Fire TV, Firestick, Fire TV Cube VPN Service Providers
As I said before, over the past 30 years or so I have used a slew of different VPN services. But when it came to choosing a VPN to use for streaming media using my Fire TV devices or my Android box, I chose IPVanish VPN. First and foremost, it’s fast. Very fast. It is the fact that speed is our best friend when streaming media. But no matter which VPN provider you use, keep in mind that speed is king and IPVanish is the world’s fastest VPN provider.
Not only is IPVanish the world’s fastest, but they also keep ZERO logs. Doesn’t matter if you have a VPN if the VPN guys are watching, too. LOL. So, there is never any trace of your VPN usage kept on the servers.
Another obvious benefit to using IPVanish is that it has a robust app for the Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and other Fire TV devices. It works with the standard remote control without any issues. The interface is super simple, with a huge connect/disconnect button and that’s about it. Most other VPN providers don’t offer a version of their app that is made for Fire TV devices, so this is an important feature.
As I mentioned above, IPVanish never keeps any traffic logs, so if the authorities or anyone ever asks IPVanish for your streaming history, it is impossible, it doesn’t exist.
It makes sense to use a VPN for all your connected devices in your home. But on the road, it’s even more important. If you connect to a public WiFi hotspot such as in a cafe or a park, you are asking to have your data stolen. I don’t think it’s a secret that you should never connect to ANY public WiFi network without using a VPN. That’s the end of that discussion.
IPVanish VPN makes it easy to protect all your devices with one account. Computer, tablet, cell phone, gaming devices, Fire TV devices, Android boxes, etc. IPVanish lets you connect up to 10 devices with only one account.
IPVanish also makes an application for each of those devices. Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS apps are all readily available from IPVanish. All of the apps are high-quality and easy to use.
So, when you are traveling or just out and about, you can install the IPVanish app on each of your devices to stay protected wherever you go.
In the following tutorial, I will show you just how easy it is to get IPVanish installed on your Fire TV device.
Before you get started, sign up for IPVanish. Click here for a 57% discount.
IPVanish gives a 7-day money-back guarantee if you aren’t completely satisfied.
This exclusive deal won’t last long, so don’t delay.
How To Install IPVanish VPN for Firestick, Fire TV and Fire TV Cube
Go to Apps at the top of your home screen
Select the Categories option
Select the IPVanish VPN app
Select the Get button
Select the Open button to launch the IPVanish app
You will first be prompted to enter your IPVanish Username and Password to login to the application, please make sure to select the Remember Me box so you don’t have to enter it each time then select LOGIN
Once you are logged in, you can choose a location and click the CONNECT button or you can go to the options to select a specific server
Once you are connected, you can go back to your home screen and all of your applications will be routed through the VPN.
To open the IPVanish app once installed select the IPVanish icon from Your Apps & Games.
Note: If you are able to get the IPVanish app installed on your Fire Stick, but you lose network connectivity to Amazon services shortly after connecting, then it is likely you have a 1st generation Fire Stick which does not support our app.
Now that you have your VPN set up, you are going to want to install one of the great builds that are available. Check out our guide to the Top Kodi Builds for 2018
How To Test VPN Is Working On Fire TV Stick, Fire TV, or Fire TV Cube
Once you have your IPVanish client installed and configured, you can very easily test to make sure it is functioning correctly.
- Download and install Silk or Firefox Browser for free from the Amazon App store on your Fire TV device
- Click the CONNECT button in the IPVanish app on your Fire TV device to activate a secure connection
- Open whichever browser browsers that you have installed (Silk or Firefox)
- In the address bar of the browser, type the following address https://dnsleaktest.com
- When the site loads, you will see your connection details such as your IP Address and location displayed which should be different than your actual location and IP.
- Choose Standard test or Extended test to be sure there are no DNS leaks when the VPN is active
General Fire TV Device VPN Troubleshooting
There are very few moving parts to your VPN, but things can go wrong occasionally. In those rare cases, there are a few simple things you can do to help you overcome them.
- If your IPVanish VPN application on your Fire TV device is not connecting, go into Settings / VPN Protocol and change to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP), whichever one is currently not selected
- Reinitialize both your Fire TV device and your router by disconnecting them power, then reconnect the power after about 30 seconds.
- If you are experiencing slow download speeds or buffering in your video streams, choose a different server in your IPVanish app. Keep in mind that each location typically contains more than one server to choose from. So, try each one to see if any of them give you better performance.
- If the problem is that you can’t log into IPVanish, check to make sure the username and password is correct. Also, check that there are no spaces in the email address you are using as your username.
- If all else fails, you can try removing and reinstalling the IPVanish app itself. Just uninstall it and follow the instructions to install it again. If you have forgotten IPVanish password, you can reset it by clicking the “Forgot Password” link in the login area on the IPVanish Website.
- ANd, last but not least, if you need help with anything other than those issues listed here, you can always get help directly from IPVanish. Send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them Robert from KodiAmerica.com sent you. They will get you all straightened out.